Hierarchical Compression: A Practical Method for Long-Term AI Continuity
Anyone who uses AI seriously eventually encounters the same limitation: context windows run out. The model forgets. You repeat the same explanations across sessions. Continuity disappears.
To solve this, I began archiving every AI conversation I have—millions of words across hundreds of sessions. Over time I developed a method to compress this history into a single, stable memory that can be carried across new chats. After demonstrating it to a friend and seeing how effective it was for him, I decided to write the method down.
---
The Method: Hierarchical Compression
The approach is simple:
1. Export your conversation history
2. Chunk the archive into manageable segments
3. Compress each chunk using an AI pass
4. Consolidate the compressed outputs
5. Persist the result using stable memory or manual injection
This creates a unified, token-efficient memory that preserves the substance of months or years of work.
---
Step 1: Export Your Conversations
ChatGPT: Settings → Data Controls → Export Data → conversations.json
Claude: No bulk export yet; manual copying or extensions work as substitutes.
This file contains everything you’ve discussed.
---
Here is a revised version of Step 2 that does what you described: no ready-made code, but a concrete prompt template they can fill in and give to any coding-capable model. Python is suggested, but not forced.
You can drop this directly into your post.
---
Step 2: Chunk the Archive
A full archive will exceed any current context window. You need to split it into pieces that fit comfortably.
The goal is simple: create multiple smaller files you can feed to the model one at a time without hitting token limits.
Instead of copying my setup exactly, I recommend generating a script tailored to your own environment (model, file format, device, etc.). You can do this by giving an AI a prompt like the one below and filling in the blanks.
Example prompt to generate your own chunking script:
I have an export file from an AI assistant that I want to split into smaller chunks.
Details:
- Model / platform the export comes from: [e.g. ChatGPT, Claude, other]
- Export file name and extension: [e.g. conversations.json, history.ndjson, export.txt]
- Rough number of conversations or lines in the file: [if known]
- My device / environment: [e.g. Windows + Python, macOS + Python, Linux, etc.]
- Preferred language for the script: [preferably Python, but you can specify another]
- Desired chunking logic:
- Chunk by: [conversations / lines / tokens estimate]
- Target size per chunk: [e.g. ~50 conversations or ~N KB/MB]
- Output format: [e.g. chunk_001.json, chunk_002.json in the same structure as input]
Your task:
1. Ask any clarifying questions only if absolutely necessary.
2. Generate a script in the requested language that:
- Loads the export file
- Splits it into multiple chunks according to the rules above
- Writes each chunk to a separate file (e.g. chunk_001.json, chunk_002.json, …)
3. Include brief comments in the code so I can adjust parameters later (like chunk size).
4. Assume I will run this locally on my machine.
Please output only the script and any minimal instructions needed to run it.
You fill in the bracketed parts, paste this prompt into your coding-capable AI of choice, and you will get a script suited to your exact file format and environment.
---
Step 3: Compress Each Chunk
For each chunk, run a compression prompt. The objective is to keep the meaning while removing the noise.
Example compression prompt:
Extract key insights, decisions, patterns, and important context.
Remove pleasantries, redundancy, abandoned threads, and filler. Produce a structured, concise summary.
Save each compressed one after another in .txt form or other file format that is generally easily readable by AI models.
---
Step 4: Consolidate
Combine all compressed summaries into one unified memory. (you should already have this from end of step 3)
You can:
Concatenate them directly
Or run a second-pass compression to unify and de-duplicate
Example consolidation prompt:
Merge these compressed summaries into a single, coherent master memory.
Remove duplicates. Preserve structure. Keep all meaningful content.
The final product is a single document containing everything important across your entire AI history.
---
Step 5: Persist and Use the Memory
Claude: Save the master memory using Stable Memory and instruct it to reference it across sessions.
Other models: Paste the memory at the start of important conversations.
Advanced: Use retrieval methods (vector search) if working with extremely large archives.
---
Optional: Gold Shifting
Once you have a unified archive, you can mine it for patterns:
Unfinished ideas
Recurring obstacles
Changes in goals or values
Technical frameworks you developed and forgot
& more!
This is longitudinal self-analysis built from your own AI history.
---
Why This Works
Compression preserves meaning while reducing tokens
Continuity increases dramatically—no need to re-explain your context
Insights compound over time instead of being lost in old sessions
This transforms AI from a stateless assistant into a system with persistent, structured knowledge about your work.
---
Results
After implementing this system:
I maintain continuity across months of conversation
I recover insights I would have otherwise forgotten
I find connections between distant ideas
I identify inconsistencies in my own thinking
A friend who replicated the method immediately saw the same benefits.
---
Limitations
Compression is lossy by design
You rely on the model’s judgment about what to preserve
Initial setup requires a few hours of focused work
For me, these tradeoffs are acceptable: partial memory is vastly better than none. And all can be improved with prompt enginnering.
---
Closing Perspective
I treat cognition, archives, and AI as engineering problems. This method is one tool in a broader effort to build continuous, externalized cognitive infrastructure.
It is practical, repeatable, and already validated by others.
Use it, refine it, improve it. The more you work with AI as a long-term cognitive partner, the more valuable continuity becomes.
---
Comments
Post a Comment