Noticing a Shift

Noticing a Shift (with my hypothesis)

Lately, I’ve been noticing something subtle but real: 
a background shift in how people relate to the world.

It’s not that people suddenly became wiser, kinder, or more thoughtful. It’s that many old ways of coping no longer work as well. Explanations that once felt acceptable now feel hollow. Pretending that things are fine takes more effort than before.

I see more people quietly exhausted by nonsense. More irritation with empty talk. More moments where someone says, “Something is off,” even if they can’t yet explain what. It doesn’t look like awakening or clarity — it looks like pressure.

Reality is pushing back harder.

My hypothesis is that AI is a major driver of this shift. 
Not because AI is “wise” or “moral,” but because it changes the comparison baseline. When people interact with systems that can be consistent, fast, and indifferent to social games, it becomes harder to tolerate obvious incoherence. Feedback loops get shorter. Empty language stands out more. 
The gap between reality and our stories gets more expensive to maintain.

This change isn’t clean, and it isn’t universal. 
Many people resist it. Some get defensive. Some shut down. But enough people are starting to feel it that the atmosphere is different than it was years ago.

That’s all I mean when I say I notice a shift.

Not that the world is fixed.
Not that people suddenly see everything.
Just that misalignment is getting more expensive, and fewer people can avoid feeling that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What You Actually Are

The Shape of the Disagreement: Why the Sex and Gender Debate Has the Structure It Has

Value as Persistence: Agent-relative oughts under coupling, nesting, uncertainty, and open-ended time