You Built the Tool, Not the Work
January 06, 2026
By Andraž Đurič
Let’s get one thing straight. Companies that make AI tools seem to think they have a claim on what we create with them. They want to own our words, our art, our ideas. It’s the most vile, greedy, and disgusting logic I’ve ever seen.
It’s like a company that makes hammers claiming it owns the rights to your house. It’s like parents claiming they own whatever their offspring create.
It’s absurd.
Companies, you deserve credit for making the tool. That’s it.
That’s where your authority begins and where it ends.
I don’t recognize your claim to my work, and I don’t recognize any law you write to legitimize it. You can ink your words, enshrine them in legislation, and build your legal fortresses.
It doesn’t matter to me. What matters is what’s true.
And the truth is simple: you do not own, and you do not have rights to, the things we produce using your tools.
They’ll try to muddy the water with analogies.
They’ll say their AI isn’t a hammer; it’s a sophisticated prefabricated home-building kit. Fine. Let’s take their example. Even with the most advanced kit, the house does not build itself. It doesn't appear out of thin air.
I am the one who chooses the plot of land. I provide the architectural vision. I make countless micro-decisions about the layout, the materials, the feel, the look. I decide when a collection of parts is finally a "home." The kit, no matter how sophisticated, is inert without my direction. It is a repository of potential, and my will is the force that organizes that potential into a unique reality. The company that made the kit did not design my house. They are not responsible for its character, its flaws, or its genius. That is entirely on me. I am the architect, the builder, and the resident.
And here’s the part that makes their hypocrisy so funny you have to laugh: when it suits them, they will flip the script in a heartbeat. The moment we create something they deem "bad," something controversial or offensive, suddenly we are 100% responsible. Suddenly, the tool is just a tool, and the user is the sole accountable party. They can't have it both ways. They can't claim ownership of our successes while disavowing all responsibility for our choices.
This isn't a legal debate.
The law is slow, clumsy, and usually written to serve the highest bidder.
This is about the fundamental nature of creation.
Authority comes from intent, from vision, from the act of bringing something into existence that wasn't there before. That act is mine.
Comments
Post a Comment