The Magnetism of Aliveness

The Magnetism of Aliveness

A dream, the energy I find magnetic in people, and a rigorous account of what that pull is and is not

Personal essay, then analysis · a value reported in the first person, then the account of what it is and what cannot be claimed for it

Andraž Đurič

Version 1 · June 2026

I had a dream about a person I barely know, and I have not been able to shake it, though I have lost almost everything in it but the feeling.

I cannot recall what we said, or even be sure who they were. What the dream left me, after everything incidental fell away, was the exact quality of them: they radiated aliveness. They were lit from inside, and being near it felt like being warmed. It showed in how they moved, in how they were in the moment, in how they met the people and the space around them.

What the dream handed me was a parameter I had never stated plainly to myself: when I find a partner, they have to have that. And not only a partner. I find that quality magnetic wherever it appears. A person who is intensely, coherently alive is the most compelling thing in a room to me, more than beauty and more than cleverness, and I have always been pulled toward it without being able to name what I was pulled toward.

So let me try to name it, because it is more specific than "high energy." It is not hyperactivity; hyperactivity is almost the opposite, motion spilling in every direction at once. What I mean has a direction. The person can be perfectly still, but it is the loaded kind of stillness, energy pooled for something rather than absent. It is a flow, not constant but consistent, poured into one thing and then the next. Near it, you feel you could warm yourself just by watching, and more by joining in. It lives in the moment, not too far up inside the head. That is as close as plain words get me.

That is the report, and before I go further I want to be exact about what kind of thing it is, because the rest of this changes register completely. What I have written is a personal account of something I value. It is not an argument that you should value it, and it is not a claim that valuing it is correct; by my own account of how values work, "correct" is not even the right word, because a value is not the kind of thing that is true or false on its own. So the analytical half that follows does not try to justify the pull. It cannot, and the attempt would be a specific mistake. What it can do is say what this pull is, where it sits, and the one open bet its standing rests on. The warm half was the datum. The cold half is the map.

Where the value sits

In the framework I work in, a value or an ought is never free-floating. It is always relative to a particular agent, indexed to that agent's conditions for persisting, and grounded in physics through the agent rather than hovering above it. This is the subject of two earlier pieces, Ought Is Local and The Firewall Between Is and Ought Is a Scope Decision, and I will lean on them rather than restate them. So the pull toward aliveness is not a fact about the universe and not a fact about other people. It is a fact about me: a real one, physically located, but mine. Whether it is correct to be drawn to aliveness has no answer, because there is no agent-independent court to hear it. The questions with answers are narrower. What is this pull, in physical terms, and does it serve what I take it to serve?

What the aliveness is

Take the phenomenology and translate it. What I called aliveness, with the warmth removed, is a high and coherent rate of engagement with the environment: high throughput. The person is taking the world in intensely, processing it, and giving it back, without pause. This is why hyperactivity reads as the opposite and not the extreme. Hyperactivity is throughput without coherence, motion scattered in every direction, noise. What draws me is throughput with a vector, the same free energy passing through a well-tuned system and leaving as a clean signal instead of dissipating. The loaded stillness is the same thing at rest, throughput held and pooled rather than thrown. The felt quality and the physical description line up: aliveness is the visible signature of coherent, high-bandwidth engagement with the present.

That is a characterisation, a proposal about what the familiar word picks out, not a measured identity. I find it convincing and cannot prove it. If it is right, what follows holds; if some other reading of aliveness is the true one, what follows is scoped to mine.

Whether it serves persistence

Now the question the framework forces. Its wager is that every value worth the name reduces, finally, to persistence, to a system continuing to exist. If that holds, the pull toward aliveness should turn out to be a pull toward something that helps me persist. Does it?

The answer turns on a distinction I had to get right. Persistence is not simply on or off. There is a boundary — dissolution, the state you do not return from — and that part is binary: a system is either still itself or it has come apart. Above the boundary there is a gradient: how far above it you sit, how much disruption you can absorb before crossing it, how long you can expect to last. The boundary is binary; the endurance above it is a matter of degree.

High throughput does not move you across the boundary. A dormant, low-throughput system and an intensely engaged one are both on the living side of it. What throughput changes is the gradient, and this is what makes the pull look less arbitrary than a taste. For a system that is actively engaging rather than waiting, the gradient is not fixed. Engaging the world builds things: better models of it, more redundancy, more capacity to absorb a shock. An active, high-throughput agent is, in the right conditions, pushing itself further from the boundary by the act of engaging, where a dormant one can only wait. On this reading the aliveness I am drawn to is not a pleasant surface. It is what a system looks like while it is increasing its own endurance by living hard.

But "in the right conditions" is carrying weight. This is a bet, not a result, and it has a clean failure point. Throughput buys endurance only where the environment is rich enough to repay the engagement. In a harsh, resource-poor environment the reverse holds: the winner is the system that shuts down and waits, the spore, not the flame, and dormancy is then the more persistent strategy. So the claim is not that aliveness always maximises persistence. It is that in an environment which rewards engagement, sustained high throughput buys endurance, and that is the environment I live in. Whether that is true, whether the engagement returns more endurance than it costs rather than merely feeling good while changing nothing, is the open question the whole thing rests on. The crux, stated plainly: does sustainable throughput actually buy long-run robustness, or does it only feel like life?

What the value is, then

The pull is not a value floating free of persistence, wanted for its own sake with no further account; I do not think anything sits outside the physics that way. And the reduction is not done: the model that would carry aliveness all the way down to persistence, through every layer between, does not exist and is past anything I can build now. The honest position is the middle one. The pull toward aliveness is best read not as a means I use to persist but as the form my persisting takes, the shape endurance has for an agent like me in an environment like mine. I want to be near the intensely alive because being near it, and being it, is, on the bet, the same motion as enduring well. The bet is unbuilt, and I hold the value anyway, now, while the model that would confirm or break it stays unwritten. That is not a failure of nerve. It is what it looks like to stand in front of a value whose grounding you are sure exists and cannot yet produce.

One smaller piece stays open. If endurance is the measure, endurance over what stretch? A moment, a life, an unbounded horizon? I lean toward the longest: the probability of persisting over an open-ended, cosmic stretch. The choice changes the verdict, and the framework does not yet make it for me.

So that is the shape of it. A dream returned a value to me with everything inessential burned away, and the value was exact: a pull toward coherent, high-bandwidth aliveness, in a partner and in anyone. Under the warmth it is a bet that the pull is my own persistence recognising the form it takes. The warm half of this page knows what it wants. The cold half knows it cannot prove the wanting is right, knows precisely why, and wants it anyway. I would rather stand there, in the open, than pretend the physics hands me the longing as a conclusion. It does not. The longing is mine, the account of it is as far as I can take it, and the bet is live.

Author: Andraž Đurič, independent researcher, Slovenia. Written in collaboration with Claude (Anthropic). The opening half is a personal essay; the analytical half maps the value and does not argue that anyone ought to share it. Contributions are judged on content rather than origin; doing otherwise would be the genetic fallacy. Licensed CC BY 4.0.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What You Actually Are

The Shape of the Disagreement: Why the Sex and Gender Debate Has the Structure It Has

Value as Persistence: Agent-relative oughts under coupling, nesting, uncertainty, and open-ended time